Sunday, January 24, 2016

Reflection on "Misconceptions Die Hard"

       I was immediately enticed by this article. I immediately thought of myself, and things that I once perceived at real to only find out that I was completely wrong. As a college student, I still often find myself questioning my judgment and reverting to google. And then I think back to my post on thinking. Has our schools systems been teaching us to think in the wrong way all along? Have they been teaching us to think for ourselves at all? This article gave me the conclusion that we usually read a fact in a textbook and consider it the truth without formulating our own convictions for the truth.

      The experiment is a terrific way to expose the state of student's thinking. If they learned science from a book or they learned from doing and discovering on their own intuition. I did my own little experimentation after reading and asked my friend sitting next to me whether a crumpled aluminum paper weighs more than a flat one. She replied first with I don't know and then with the crumpled one. We then digressed into why one might think that way and we could both understand why its a common misunderstanding.

     As a teacher I stop and pause....what can I do to prevent these misconceptions from my students? how can I make them hands on learners who push boundaries of the gapes of a book? I hope to find that out over the course of this class, and this article gave me the motivation to not settle for average.

No comments:

Post a Comment